Would you like to make a Donation to Port Wallis?
Stewardship is caring for God’s Gifts of Spirituality, Hospitality, Time, Talents, Treasure, and Terrain. It is, also, about cultivating opportunities to offer these gifts so that we may grow into greater semblance of Christ.
Stewardship is not just about money, it is also about taking care of, and serving others.
There are a variety of ways to donate besides donating time, talent, and terrain, we also are happy to take donations of treasure.
How Can you Donate Financially to Port Wallis?
- In Person using guest envelopes in the church pews
- In Person using Assigned Envelopes, that provide an annual tax receipt. (Ask at the office about getting envelopes)
- By direct debit from your bank account or credit card using PAR = Pre Authorized Remittance – forms are at the office.
- Online – at the moment the only way to donate online is via Interac Email transfer through your bank. Please use this email address – firstname.lastname@example.org when using Interac.
Don’t forget Non-Liquid Donations!
“Non-liquid donations” are donations of items other than cash that contribute to projects directly undertaken by the church.
Income tax receipts can be issued by the Church for these donations based on the monetary value of those non-liquid donations. This would include the donation of food to the church suppers hosted by the Major Suppers Committee, the Port Wallis Players, the Concert Committee, donations of food to Margaret’s House/Feeding Others of Dartmouth, and donations of grocery store gift cards to the Benevolent Fund. Frequently members of the congregation participate in other fundraising activities on behalf of other charitable organizations, and solicit donations to support those activities. While Port Wallis United Church supports community outreach, the Church cannot issue receipts for donations of cash or items to these non-church sponsored events.
If you wish to receive an income tax receipt for those donations you should speak with the representative doing the fundraising to arrange for a receipt from the beneficiary organization.”
When submitting receipts that are to be recorded as Non-liquid donations to the church please remember:
- That the receipts should be into the church as soon as possible – please do not wait until the end of the year
- All receipts submitted should be “intact.” ie: so that the tax auditor will know it is a valid donation, from a store on a date, what it is , how much and whether it is taxable. Please write your envelope # and the Event Description on the receipt: #138 Turkey Supper.
- Receipts can be submitted in an envelope and dropped in the offering tray along with their regular cash donation / PAR slip or dropped off to the office. Att: Bookkeeper
We are blessed to have so many congregational members who offer their gifts to all areas of our church work whether it be through helping out at dinners, greeting at the door on Sunday morning, reading in church services, singing in the choir, serving on committees, ministering to our children through Sunday School, organizing or assisting at fund raisers or through financial donations
As a congregation, through our Offerings in 2016, we have been able to reach out to our community and provide support to those in need in the following ways:
- $20,146 given to the Mission and Service fund of the United Church of Canada by Port Wallis United Church, 53% stays in our local area.
- $5,325 for the supply of grocery cards, heating oil and gifts at Christmas for those in need from within our community and beyond. This is over and above the clothes, toys, personal care items, turkeys, casseroles, meals, soups and family care bundles.
- $548. to Feed Others of Dartmouth – Margaret’s House.
- Close to $1,000 for the work of the North Dartmouth Outreach Centre – they truly appreciate our help with funds to buy bus tickets for their clients.
- Pay the salaries, etc. for our staff.
- Monthly making of sandwiches for Margaret’s House.
- Pay the mortgage and maintenance for our building and property.
- And keep the building heated for the Community.
- We offer hot chocolate, juice, muffins, donuts and a warm place to gather for teens waiting for the school bus through our Bus Stop Breakfast program.
- Refugee Sponsorship Fund – $4,319.00.
The Church building is open to various groups who try to lift up the fabric of our community by providing education, physical exercise and opportunities for youth and adults to better their lives. Our Building is seldom empty!
This congregation is also a place for fun and fun-filled activities. Dinner Theatre does raise substantial funds, but it also raises a tremendous amount of fellowship and provides community for people to engage and support each other.
We are generous supporters of the North Dartmouth Outreach Resource Centre Food Bank. Your contributions are very much appreciated. Our Food Bank box is seldom empty!
Various groups such as Port Wallis Community Seniors, Latin Dance, Yogafit, Coffee, Crafts & Conversation, Tot Time, LINKS in the summer are a few of the Community Outreach groups that we assist to make happen.
Thank you again and God Bless!